A new instrument at Norway`s national music museum
Ringve – Norway`s National Music Museum is located on a hill on the Lade peninsula near Trondheim with great views of the cultural landscape and Trondheimsfjorden surrounding the site. The buildings, situated in a typical homestead arrangement, were erected from 1740 to 1952. All of the buildings are worthy of protection. The Ringve National Music Museum has a national mandate to conserve and convey both music and musical instruments.
The museum is fitted with a new extension as well as rehabilitation and refurbishing of the existing buildings. The extension is located outside of the stead enclosure as a “black box” for temporary exhibitions. The design of the building is in part inspired by the resonance boxes usually featured in many musical instruments. From the media library, you will find beautiful views of the botanic garden surrounding the estate. A new common entry area with a reception, museum store and café connects both the permanent and temporary exhibitions. In addition, the old banquet hall has also been upgraded and refurbished. One of the main goals of the project was to secure an environmentally friendly design throughout, and the new extension is Norway’s first museum building built in compliance with the passive house standard. A new elevator was installed to secure accessibility for all visitors in the new museum complex.